Today, we celebrate the International Education Day !
On this occasion, let's review the goals being formulated by the international community and the progress made to this day.
Where we should go
- 2 out of the 8 Millenium Development Goals (MDGs) are bout education:
Goal 3: Eliminate gender disparity in primary and secondary education, preferable 2005, and in all levels of education no latter than 2015.
- " Education for all ": programme lunched by the UNESCO
- In the developing regions, the net enrolment rate for children of primary school age rose from 82 to 90 per cent between 1999 and 2010.
- In 2010, 61 million children of primary school age were out of school. One chulrden is event one too many !
- The female share of out-of-school children dropped from 58 to 53 per cent between 1999 and 2010.
- 71 out of 131 countries, in developing regions, had achieved gender parity in primary education by 2010. So, in half of the developing coutries, girls are discriminated against in regards to education !!
Education is one of the key areas in which Friends of Humanity is involved. We currently support a project in India which aims at supporting a school that welcomes 125 children from disadvantaged community. To have more information and donate for this project, go to the project webpage !